Jose N. Reyes, Ph.D.
Chief Technology Officer
Dr. Reyes is the co-founder of NuScale Power and co-designer of the NuScale passively-cooled small nuclear reactor. He is an internationally recognized expert on passive safety system design, testing and operations for nuclear power plants. He has served as a United Nations International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) technical expert on passive safety systems. He is a co-inventor on over 110 patents granted or pending in 20 countries. He has received several national awards including the 2013 Nuclear Energy Advocate Award, the 2014 American Nuclear Society Thermal Hydraulic Division Technical Achievement Award and the 2017 Nuclear Infrastructure Council Trailblazer Award. He is a fellow of the American Nuclear Society and a member of the National Academy of Engineering.
At Oregon State University, Dr. Reyes served as head of the Department of Nuclear Engineering and Radiation Health Physics. He directed the Advanced Thermal Hydraulic Research Laboratory (ATHRL) and was the co-director of the Battelle Energy Alliance Academic Center of Excellence (ACE) for Thermal Fluids and Reactor Safety in support of the Idaho National Laboratory mission. Additionally, Dr. Reyes was the OSU principal investigator for the AP600 and AP1000 design certification test programs sponsored by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), the U.S. Department of Energy and Westinghouse. He currently serves as a Professor Emeritus in the School of Nuclear Science and Engineering.
Prior to joining the faculty at OSU in 1987, Dr. Reyes worked nearly 10 years as a thermal hydraulics research engineer in the Reactor Safety Division of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. He holds Ph.D. and Master of Science degrees in nuclear engineering from the University of Maryland, and a Bachelor of Science degree in nuclear engineering from the University of Florida. He is the author of numerous journal articles and technical reports, including a book chapter on SMRs for an ASME B&PV Codes and Standards handbook. He has given lectures and keynote addresses to professional nuclear organizations in the U.S., Europe and Asia.
- Licensed Professional Engineer, State of Oregon
- Fellow of ANS and Member of ASME
- Inaugural Holder of the Henry and Janice Schuette Endowed Chair Professor, Oregon State University
Keynote Speaking Engagements in 2017:
- Advanced Reactors Technical Summit IV, Argonne National Laboratory, Chicago, Illinois, February 2017
- Flexible Application of NuScale Power Modules, International SMR & Advanced Reactor Summit, Atlanta, Georgia, March 2017
- General Chair, ANS Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, June 2017
- CNBC Special Report Interview, New, cutting edge reactors could completely reshape the way people think about nuclear power plants, Sustainable Energy Series, London, UK, July 2017
- NuScale Technology Overview, IAEA Technical Meeting on Technology Assessment of Small Modular Reactors for Near Term Deployment - NuScale Presentation/Web Ex, Tunis, Tunisia, October 2017.
- Safety and Reliability Aspects of SMRs, IAEA International Ministerial Conference on Nuclear Power in the 21st Century, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, October 30-November 1, 2017.
- TV Interview - Alternative Energy Futures: The Whole Truth with David Eisenhower, November 2017