At Oregon State University, Dr. Reyes served as head of the Department of Nuclear Engineering and Radiation Health Physics. He directed the Advanced Thermal Hydraulic Research Laboratory (ATHRL) and was the co-director of the Battelle Energy Alliance Academic Center of Excellence (ACE) for Thermal Fluids and Reactor Safety in support of the Idaho National Laboratory mission. Additionally, Dr. Reyes was the OSU principal investigator for the AP600 and AP1000 design certification test programs sponsored by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), the U.S. Department of Energy and Westinghouse. He currently serves as a Professor Emeritus in the School of Nuclear Science and Engineering.
Prior to joining the faculty at OSU in 1987, Dr. Reyes worked nearly 10 years as a thermal hydraulics research engineer in the Reactor Safety Division of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. He holds Ph.D. and Master of Science degrees in nuclear engineering from the University of Maryland, and a Bachelor of Science degree in nuclear engineering from the University of Florida. He is the author of numerous journal articles and technical reports, including a book chapter on SMRs for an ASME B&PV Codes and Standards handbook. He has given lectures and keynote addresses to professional nuclear organizations in the U.S., Europe and Asia.
- Licensed Professional Engineer, State of Oregon.
- Fellow of ANS and Member of ASME.
- Inaugural Holder of the Henry and Janice Schuette Endowed Chair Professor, Oregon State University.
Keynote Speaking Engagements in 2021:
- Alaska Advanced Nuclear Educational Series – January 2021
- American Nuclear Society, Trinity Section meeting – January 2021
- National Academies Study on Advanced Nuclear Energy – January 2021
- Corvallis Rotary Club – February 2021
- UC Berkeley Department of Nuclear Engineering, Spring Colloquium Series – February 2021
- Tulane Engineering Forum – February 2021
- NuScale Seminar at Georgia Tech graduate school – March 2021
- US Nuclear Industry Council, Advanced Reactors Summit VIII & Technology Trailblazers - March 2021
- Competitive Energy Systems, American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) - April 2021
- Green Hydrogen US - May 2021
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Network on Nuclear Power Safety Research - May 2021
- MIT Nuclear Plant Safety Course – June 2021
Keynote Speaking Engagements in 2020:
- Western Energy & Water Forum – January 2020
- Oregon State University (OSU) Engineer's Week Banquet – February 2020
- United States Association for Energy Economics (USAEE) Webinar – May 2020
- Atlantic Council – May 2020
- Intercontinental Nuclear Institute – June 2020
- Homeland Defense & Security Information Analysis Center (HDIAC) – June 2020
- G20 Energy Sustainability Working Group - July 2020
- Utah Associated Municipal Power Systems (UAMPS) Carbon Free Power Project (CFPP) Virtual Event - July 2020
- Oregon’s Energy Future Conference - September 2020
- Nuclear Energy: Challenges and Futures – September 2020
- Gordon Valley Electric Association (GVEA) Alaska - October 2020
- National Governors Association (NGA) Event - October 2020
- The Nuclear Alternative Project – December 2020
- Oregon House Energy and Environment Committee – December 2020
- Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) / Nuclear Energy Agency (NEA) / Working Group on Analysis and Management of Accidents (WGAMA) Madrid 2021 – December 2020