The NuScale Power Module and power plant design enhances the intrinsic physical protection and security of
the plant through the elegantly simple design, elimination of large break loss of
coolant accidents, and full reliance on passive systems to cool the reactors and
spent fuel for extended periods without the need for AC power, DC power or additional water following an upset condition. Other security features include:
- The low power output of each NuScale Power Module allows for significant design simplification
and elimination of many systems susceptible to sabotage, including the reactor coolant
loops, reactor coolant pumps, and active safety systems.
- A robust Category 1 aircraft impact resistant reactor building encases all reactor
modules, the spent fuel pool, and all safety systems to mitigate consequences of
- The small footprint of the NuScale Power Modules plant and the low profile of the reactor building due
to below-grade placement of the NuScale Power Modules and spent fuel pool offer a greatly reduced target size relative to
- Each module is submerged in water, which further reduces post-impact jet fuel fire
- Nuclear core cooling can be done without any external power, which limits plant
vulnerability and loss of off-site power is not an issue.